Live Debate: State Auditor Candidates
Vermont's Auditor of Accounts tracks how the state spends taxpayer money, and makes sure that government programs are performing the way they should. Current Auditor Tom Salmon is not seeking re-election this year, creating an open race for the position.
Candidates Vince Illuzzi (R) and Doug Hoffer (D/P) debate what they'd bring to the office of state auditor and explain why they'd be best to fill this role.
Video Direct Links - State Auditor's debate
Listen to the entire debate, or click the topics below to jump to that section.
Jane Lindholm's questions to the candidates:
- Priorities and vision for the job, role of performance: Vince Illuzzi | Doug Hoffer
- Curbing municipal embezzlement: Doug Hoffer | Vince Illuzzi
- Role in crafting the state budget and suggesting budget cuts: Vince Illuzzi | Doug Hoffer
The candidates' questions toeach other:
- Hoffer to Illuzzi: Why won't you give up your position as state's attorney ifyou're elected Auditor?
- Illuzzi to Hoffer: Wasn't itunfair to criticize Auditor Tom Salmon's spending on performance audits?
- Illuzzi to Hoffer: contractbidding process, sole source contracts
- Hoffer to Illuzzi: bill tore-instate a capital gains exclusion
Listeners' questions to thecandidates:
- Efficiency and availability of state services in rural areas
- Disclose candidates' personal investments and business interests
- Role of auditor in rectifying the overtime/payroll fraud by former State Police Sgt. Deeghan
- The Comprehensive Annual Financial Report as assets to be leveraged and used
- Influence of SuperPAC money in this race
- Doug Hoffer: Address the criticism that you're too much of a policy wonk, and lack management experience.
- Vince Illuzzi: Address the criticism that your experience puts you too close to those you'll be auditing.