Outdoor Radio: Don't Call Them Sea Gulls!
Gulls are found on every continent on the planet. They're smart, resourceful, and graceful - but don't call them sea gulls! There are inland species, even some that live in the desert. Biologists Kent McFarland and Sara Zahendra of the Vermont Center For Ecostudies, are joined by birder, Bryan Pfeiffer at Grow Compost in Waterbury. Hundreds of gulls (and other birds) hang out amid this huge expanse of compost enjoying an endless feast.
See more photos and learn about gulls in Vermont at the links below:
- From Glaucous Gulls to Bald Eagles, there are beautiful images of birds observed at Grow Compost and submitted to Vermont eBird.
- View the latest bird sightings at Grow Compost on Vermont eBird and get directions to this and other birding hotspots.
- Add your sightings at Vermont eBird.
- Learn more about Glaucous Gulls and other gulls in the All About Birds guide.
- Read more about this visiting Arctic Gull on Bryan Pfeiffer's Blog.
- Here's a map of Bryan's favorite gull watching areas.
Outdoor Radio is produced in collaboration with the Vermont Center For Ecostudies with support from the Jack and Dorothy Byrne Foundation.