Live Blog: Two Armed Suspects In Custody, Newport Lockdown Ends
Newport Police report they took two suspects into custody after an armed standoff. Newport Police Chief Seth DiSanto said at a press conference that a 36-year-old Newport resident called 911 early this morning to report there were "over 400 police officers outside his residence attempting to attack him."
Updated 4:17 p.m.: Orleans County State's Attorney Alan Franklin said 36-year-old Derick Niles was the suspect on the roof of his garage earlier today.
Niles was arraigned today on charges of reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct. Niles' probation officer also filed a probation violation complaint following the incident.
Franklin said Niles is still in custody pending a court-ordered inpatient mental evaluation and $100,000 bail.
Franklin would not give details regarding a 15-year-old suspect that Newport Police Chief Seth DiSanto said was also arrested after this morning's standoff.
"I cannot confirm or deny that," Franklin said. "Anything involving a juvenile is confidential."
Updated 11:55 a.m.: Newport Police Chief Seth DiSanto said Vermont 911 received a call at about 5:30 Wednesday morning from a 36-year-old Newport man who claimed there were "over 400 police officers outside his residence attempting to attack him."
There were no police in the area at that time, DiSanto said. Police determined the caller was on his garage roof armed with a long rifle. Another suspect, age 15, was in the back yard of the residence also armed with a long rifle.
Both suspects were taken into custody late this morning. No shots were fired in the incident.
There were 10 family members inside the house, DiSanto said. They were evacuated during the standoff.
Newport Police requested assistance from the Newport Fire Department, Newport Ambulance Service, State Police and U.S. Border Patrol. The border patrol sent an "air asset" to assist.
"I think it's just another sign of how law enforcement in this area works together to come to a peaceful conclusion of an incident that could have had bad consequences," he said.
DiSanto said the 36-year-old suspect had been arrested for violent crimes before.
"The suspect is facing charges at this time," DiSanto said. "Disorderly conduct, reckless endangerment, and we're looking into the possibility of a probation violation as well, but the most important thing right now is to have his mental health status checked and screened."
Updated 11:06 a.m.: Newport Police report a suspect is in custody. The area is now an active crime scene, so police have asked people to stay away from the area.
Any lock downs are canceled and suspect is in custody. Please stay way from the area of Highland Ave between West Main Street and Pleasant St.
Updated 10:29 a.m.: Police are expected to hold a press conference at 10:45 a.m. regarding the incident in Newport.
Updated 10:25 a.m.: The Newport Police Department issued the following alert at 10:03 a.m.:
Update on Incident on Highland Ave. Any lock downs are cancelled but incident is active and ongoing. Please stay way from the area of Highland Ave between West Main Street and Pleasant St. This is still an ongoing incident.
Updated 8:49 a.m. via AP:
Shortly before 7 a.m., Newport police told residents on Highland Avenue between West Main and Pleasant streets to stay in their homes and lock their doors. About an hour later, residents were ordered to evacuate because police were on the scene with an armed suspect. The alerts were distributed via text message and email to people who live in the area.
State Police spokeswoman Stephanie Dasaro said at 8:25 a.m. that State Police are assisting on the scene, but are not the lead agency. She referred calls to Newport police, who declined comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.